Thursday, January 17, 2013

Blessing #174 - Spice Crate

One of the tricky parts of my kitchen was the awkward corner cabinet.  I never really knew what to do with it, and ended up just shoving anything that didn't have a home in that cabinet.



When I was looking for uses of my Christmas crates, I knew I wanted to do a spice rack, and I knew it would look perfect in the awkward corner cabinet.

After my bread crate was such a success, I knew I wanted to put shelf paper in the bottom of this crate, but the dividers got in the way.  I tried to remove them, but they didn't budge. Shad tried to get the dividers out, but we realized they were going to break...because Shad's that strong. (sorry I had to throw that in)


It looked like I wasn't going to be able to put the shelf paper in the crate, but I am very stubborn.  I racked my brain to find a plan B. (If you look in the top left corner of the picture above, Collin proves yet again, that he is the best photo bomber ever.)


Willing to try anything, I cut a piece of shelf paper to fit the crate.  Using tweezers, I slid it over the side of the crate and under the dividers.  Surprisingly, it worked!

Once the crate was ready, I moved my spices into matching spice jars.  The labels are Martha Stewart labels from Staples.  I'm not a fan of my handwriting at all, and I will be changing these labels eventually.  I just haven't quite decided how I am going to do that yet.


On the top shelf of the awkward cabinet, I store a gallon pitcher, extra pyrex, and kids cups are in the pink basket. I use the spice crate almost like a door.  Behind the crate, I have extra plates and cake stands that I use for entertaining.


The shelf paper adds a cute punch of color and brightens up this cabinet.


Tomorrow, I'm sharing the moment when I knew I had crossed over into crazyville with my love of shelf paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment