Monday, January 14, 2013

Blessing #171 - Scary Cabinet Makeover

Since Christmas, I've gone a little crazy....

No

If I am going to be honest, I don't think I can use the word little as my adjective.  Let me try that again.

Since Christmas, I've gone crazy, maybe even a lot crazy over my new favorite item.  A few days after Christmas, I was innocently strolling the aisles of T.J. Maxx with a little Christmas money in my pocket to spend when I saw patterned shelf paper for sale.  Not only was it beautiful, but the price was great at $6 for two rolls.


I flipped out over the find, and even texted my friend with a picture of the paper and the words, "I'm so excited!"

Since that fateful day, I've gone shelf paper crazy covering many of the surfaces in my house with shelf paper. I've gone so crazy, I've been back to T.J. Maxx for more shelf paper because I get the shakes when I start running low.

In fact, I am declaring this week to be shelf paper week on the blog.

That's right a week entirely devoted to shelf paper. Sounds thrilling, I know.

Today, I will start with one of the most obvious uses of shelf paper....shelves and cabinets.  Slowly, I have covered most of the cabinets in my kitchen, but I hesitated with the scary cabinet.

The cabinet under my sink was scary.  So scary I didn't really use it.


There was dirt, plumbing, but most importantly a hole!  "What's the big deal Stephane? It's just a hole!" you say.  Well, let me share a little story.

Back in our old house which was surrounded by open horse fields, I opened up the rubbermaid drawer to pack some snacks for Brandon.  As I opened the drawer I noticed something strange.  Quickly, I realized I was looking at the back side of a snake.  Not a little bitty snake. He was a way bigger than I wanted in my house snake, and I just saw his back half.  He slid away and his body slid over the back edge of the drawer, and I screamed for the next thirty minutes straight.

For that reason, this cabinet with the hole has stayed closed since we moved in to the house.

I saw a fix for the scary cabinet on Pinterest, but I just never got around to doing it.

Finally, the shelf paper inspired me to fix the creepy hole.  I went to Home Depot, and bought six sticky tiles from the flooring section.  At 30 something cents a piece, they were a cheap fix.


The scary cabinet was looking way less scary, but that water hose is giving me flashbacks to the snake incident.

I wasn't done with the cabinet yet though, a little bright blue zebra shelf paper, and this is the final product.


Now, It's not scary at all! Unless your afraid of animal print.  The entire project took me about an hour.

I still haven't decided how I'm using this cabinet. For now, I just store my dish drainer in the cabinet.

Make sure to come back tomorrow for another shelf paper project. I know. I know I'm just as excited as you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment