Friday, October 5, 2012

31 Days {Day 5} Making Cleaning Pretty


I'm going to be very honest, I'm not a big fan of cleaning.  Don't get me wrong, I realize it is very important, and it is something that has to be done (just like a root canal), but I just don't enjoy it.  I procrastinate, and then fuss at myself for letting the job get too big.

My Mom is a different story. She loves to clean.  In fact, every time she cleans, her eyes kind of glaze over (but that could just be the bleach).

If you're like me though, and cleaning is not your favorite here is something I've found that helps.  Make cleaning pretty.  I know it sounds simple, but it has actually helped me to make cleaning more enjoyable.

It all started when our family began buying soaps for the seasons.  We wait for a good sale at Bath and Body Works, and make it a family event where we each pick a soap.

I'm sure you can guess which soap Brandon picked.


That small detail makes our home more homey, and it also makes Brandon wash his hands more.

Then when I started having problems with asthma, I had to be careful about the cleaners I used.  The natural cleaners come in such pretty bottles and they smell heavenly!  I love J.R. Watkins and Mrs. Meyers.


Do they work as good as a cleaner with bleach in it? No, but I don't wheeze when I use them.  If I have a tough stain on my counter top, I use a stronger cleaner, but for day to day cleaning they do great.

Once I realized that pretty made a difference in the whole cleaning experience, I went with it.

At at a Thirty One party, I got this cute little bag to store all of my cleaning supplies.  It looks cute in my pantry, and I carry it around the house with me as I clean.



My other favorite cleaning helper is also from Thirty One.  This is my laundry basket.  I use it to get folded laundry up the stairs....or it just sits full on my dryer for a few days.  But that's okay! It's pretty!


I love it! It's my little protest against laundry.  I'll do it, but I still don't like it.

Do I love cleaning now as much as my Mom? No. But these little details make the whole experience more enjoyable, and makes me love my home a little more.

If you've missed a day of 31 days to Love your Home you can catch up here.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment