Tuesday, October 23, 2012

31 Days {Day 23} Pyrex


One of my collections is vintage Pyrex. I first became interested in Pyrex as I read Southern Plate cookbook.  As soon as I saw a Pyrex bowl in the pictures, I thought, "That's my Mom's banana puddin' dish!"

Before that day, I never really realized my Mom's banana pudding dish.  My Mom used a certain dish when she made banana pudding. She didn't use the dish for anything else but banana pudding. When I told my Mom about it, she said, "Oh! That's your dad's mom's dish." My dad's mom passed away when my dad was 14, and I was surprised to have any connection to her.

Pyrex also reminded me of all the pot luck dinners, family reunions, and church homecoming in August.  Soon after, I started searching for Pyrex.  My first Pyrex find was brutally ripped out of my hands in the middle of Goodwill...okay maybe it wasn't brutal, but it felt like it.  I still have not found another Gooseberry print.  (You can read that here.)

Shortly after that experience, I started finding Pyrex, and my collection has really grown.  Here is how I use Pyrex in my life.


Soup night is much more colorful.   


Last night, I knew I was writing this blog post, and I had to take a picture of my sink before I washed the dishes.  

When I moved last year, I got rid of all my tupperware.  That's right! No tupperware in my house!

Wait.....no tupperware except for my mother-in-laws tupperware.   Every Monday night, we eat at her house, and she sends the left overs home with us (which is awesome).  I'm am the world's worst tupperware returner.  If you ever give me food, send it in something I can throw away because I'm really bad at remembering to return tupperware.  


On that note, I feel I need to make another correction.  When I say, "I got rid of all my tupperware," I don't mean actual Tupperware with the burpable lids and all.   My "tupperware" was old lunch meat containers with the occasional cool whip bowl.

Where was I? Oh! Pyrex. 

Using Pyrex for all my leftovers makes my refrigerator much cheerier.  


Just in case you are wondering, Shad cleaned out our fridge on Sunday (thus the giant pile of tupperware).  

I like to collect Pyrex, but I love it when it's time to cook.  Pyrex makes that task much more colorful and fun. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment