Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 Days {Day 2} Baby Steps



Lao-tzu once said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one single meltdown." Okay, maybe it was me that put the quote that particular way, but that was definitely the way it happened to me.  

Yesterday,  I started 31 days by sharing my meltdown after realizing I had a problem.  I was just surviving, not living, and my house showed it.   After the tears dried, I was left wondering, "Well, what do I do now."


I love to make lists, but every time I made a to do list for my house, I was soOoOo overwhelmed.  The task of making my home nice seemed so big, almost impossible.  However, I had to make sure I did not lose focus of the problem or the goal.  The problem was not my house looked bad, and the goal was not for my house to look like the cover of Better Homes and Gardens.  The problem was I was just surviving and the goal was to live.  I had to remember that my ugly house was only a symptom of the problem.  


So I took a deep breath and took some advice from the movie, "What about Bob?"  Baby Steps.  Baby Steps.  This  problem did not happen overnight, and it will not be solved overnight.  


Recently at a Women of Faith event, one of the speakers had a terrific quote.  I wish I would have written it down word for word, but here is the basic idea...


"Many people focus on the fact that they can't do everything so they don't do the little bit that they can do." 


In the beginning, I was not ready for a giant step of painting walls, buying furniture, or diying something, but I was ready to take baby steps in the right direction.  Baby steps to loving my house.  Baby steps to stop surviving and start living.  


Over the next few days, I will share some of the simple baby steps to loving your home.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment