Thursday, October 18, 2012

31 Days {Day 18} Gallery Wall


When I first started loving on my house, one of the areas that was struggling in my home was the walls.  They were bare and sad.  In my mind, I had to go to the store and buy some expensive picture of a leaf or flower and hang it up on my wall.  However, I soon discovered that I could dress my walls and not spend a fortune when I discovered the gallery wall.

I had attempted the gallery wall a few times, but I never got it right.  A couple of weeks ago, I tried the gallery wall again after I painted our living room walls.

Suddenly, I realized why I couldn't get it right before.  I had been trying to have a cool random looking gallery wall, but my brain is not random.  My brain is mathematical and appreciates symmetry.  To me symmetry is beautiful.

I gathered up different elements that I had on the walls at our old house and laid them out on the floor.  I loved the layout! After giving everything a good coat of white spray paint, I hung them on the wall.



I love the way the gallery wall looks, but I love that each piece has meaning to our family.



1. family definition - The frame was one of the frames we found in the trash a few years ago.  I found the vinyl quote at Jo Anne's on clearance a couple of years ago.

2. I've had the L from Kirkland's for four or five years, but a new coat of spray paint made it fit right in.

3. This is one of our favorite verses.  I got this from Dayspring. 

4. I found the little white frames at Goodwill.  Here is the before....


A little spray paint and a different background, and I love them.  Eventually, I want to put some numbers or sillouettes in them.

5. A map of our favorite city Charleston.

6. I made this display for some of our Instagram pictures.  I love our Instagram pictures, and I'm so happy to have them displayed.  I just strung some wire across the back. I put brads in the two corners of the picture and just hung them over the wire.  I can add and change out the pictures when I want.

And in an attempt to keep it real, I'll just zoom out and let you see the whole wall.


"Hey, Mom! Are you taking a picture? I haven't photo bombed you in a while!"


"Boom. Photo Bombed."


Yep, that's my ratty love seat underneath.  Eventually, I want two chairs on that wall with a small table between them, but my ratty love seat if fine for now.  My home is a work in progress, and I'm loving the progress I'm making!

 

2 comments:

  1. hey, don't knock ratty love seats :) they are often very comfy. lol.... very much enjoying your series... though next year, my husband might not. hahaha... i have some wild spray-paint ideas...

    {i did wonder if you have ever had to strip paint before any of your projects and what your favorite methodnof doing that is? i hate doing it and am not wild about the money and/or time it uses... but i have a desk that i enjoy the functionality of but it has "at least" 3 layers of paint on it... and i think it would actually look nice with a simple stain finish or a "white-wash" look instead of paint.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calculating BlessingsOctober 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

    I have used paint stripper before, but you have to be in a ventilated spot to use it, wear gloves because it will sting your skin, and I think you have to dispose of it in a different way.  In other words, I hate stripper! Now, with my asthma, I wouldn't even risk using it.  I would probably get an electric sander and see if that would take it off first before I went for the stripper.  

    I can't wait to see your spray paint ideas!

    ReplyDelete