Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 Days {Day 10} Shopping your House


Once you decide to start loving your home, it can be overwhelming.  You make a list of everything you need, and suddenly you realize, "I don't have any money!"

For the next several days, I will be sharing the places where I get all my stuff.  The details that make a home pretty.  The first place I shop when I want to freshen up a room is my own home.

First, I look for things I have sitting in closets or forgotten attic space.  I found the window for my key hanger in our attic.  That's one of the perks of living in a house that's 150 years old!


After I've looked for things in forgotten spaces, I look at what I already have out in my house and ask, "Can it be repurposed?"

This sign used to be maroon, but when I changed my accent color to blue, I just painted it blue.



These boxes had a sage green lid, but a little blue paint and they fit right in to my new look.



One of my first projects when I started loving my house was this picture.  This picture was a print of a fall wood scene.  When I started redoing everything, it did not fit in at all.  I printed off a map of our favorite city, Charleston, and decoupaged it onto the old print.  Now, I love it, and I love using something I already had!



When I made over my porch, I found the perfect coffee table in my yard! I think it was part of the former tenants animal cage.  I found the wood for the sign in the barn.


When you are changing a room, or a space, look at what you have with new eyes.  The perfect piece may be right under your nose!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment