Monday, September 24, 2012

Blessing #139 - Mr. Gordon

Remember when I posted about my landing table and the great story behind it? If not, you can read that post by clicking here.

In that post, I mentioned that Mr. Gordon made my table and I would have to blog about him on another day.  Today is that day.


Over the weekend, Mr. Gordon passed away, and my heart is hurting for Mrs. Gordon and his family.   Today, I just wanted to share with you a little about him because he's the type of person that everyone should know.

When I was a little girl, Mr. and Mrs. Gordon sat right behind my mom in church. Often, I would sit on my Mom's lap facing backwards, and I would spend most of the service looking at him.  With his own unique style, Mr. Gordon half sung and half whistled every hymn during the congregational singing. Actually, he mostly whistled.

  Mr. Gordon always had a toothpick in his mouth and his outfit of choice was usually his blue and white striped overalls.   As a little girl, I was always fascinated at how he could talk, sing, and whistle and yet his toothpick would never fall out of his mouth.


Mr. Gordon was a painter by trade, and did all of the painting in the church.  Every time I saw him painting, he was calmly whistling.  He never seemed to be in a hurry (Mr. Gordon was never in a hurry). I guess he just wanted to get the job right.

In the past year, I've painted a few rooms in our home.  Now that I paint, I realize I never saw him using painter's tape.  Never! Every time I'm working on a paint project, and my Dad asks how it's going, I answer, "I'm no Mr. Gordon."

Mr. Gordon's life demonstrated the love of Christ by how he loved his wife of 65 years, how he loved his big family, how he loved his country as he served in World War II, and how he loved Ridgeway Baptist Church.

Although I won't be at his funeral today, I am going to honor Mr. Gordon the best way I know how.  I'm painting my living room.  I'll probably whistle some, and I may even go without the painter's tape...nah! I'm no Mr. Gordon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment