Thursday, August 30, 2012

Blessing #134 - Brandon turns 6

Dear Mr. Brandon,

Yesterday, you turned 6! Sorry your birthday letter is a little late, but better late than never. 

This year has brought so many changes for you. It seems like you grew up so much this year. I now see you as a little boy, and not a toddler. I know. I'm a little slow to catch on, but I see you through my mommy colored glasses.


I've debated about what to write in this birthday letter. I thought about telling you about the day you were born or all the things that happened this year, but I've decided to take this chance and tell you what I admire in you. Yes, I know you are just six, but you have so many traits that I love and admire in you. Sometimes, I'm afraid all you hear is the bad traits. "Brandon can't pay attention! Brandon can't sit still! Brandon, is crazy! Brandon is mischievous! Brandon is a walking tornado of destruction!" Because of this, I wanted to take a few minutes and let you know what I admire in you.

 

1. You're tender heart.  I know on the outside you look wild and crazy, but you have one of the most tender hearts I know.  You are truly concerned with other people.  If I fall (which happens a lot), you are right there asking, "Are you okay Mommy?" When someone is hurt, you remember to pray for them and ask them how they are doing the next time you see them. 


2. You love tradition. I would like to think you got this one from me, but you absolutely love tradition. You've been announcing for weeks, "On my birthday, we are going to the Choo Choo Barn!" When we told you that you had school on that day, you just looked at us. It didn't matter that you had school. To you it was a simple fact. Brandon goes to the Choo Choo Barn on August 29!


3. You show love so easily.  You have never had any trouble showing love to people.  It just seems to come natural to you.  Yesterday, you asked me, "Mom, I need to give Mrs. Hueytt (your teacher) a card. I want it to say, 'Mrs. Hueytt, you are the best teacher ever. Thank you for letting me come to school'." You do more than just saying, "I love you," you show it too.

4.  You welcome change with arms wide open. Monday, I couldn't help but admire how you handled your very first day of school.  You welcomed the newness and uncertainty with open arms. I am certain that did not come from me.  Most of the time, I have to be dragged into change.  You walked right into that school with so much confidence I couldn't help but be proud that you were my son. 


Six years ago, when I first laid my eyes on you, I coudn't have imagined the little boy you would become. I couldn't be happier to call you mine. Thanks for making my life much more exciting. I love you and admire so much about you. I can't wait to see how God is going to use these traits in your life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment