Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blessing #126 - Herb Garden 2 point 0

I have never really cooked with herbs so I've never really been interested in having an herb garden.  Then one of my favorite people at my church gave me some dill, chives, and basil. 

I bought some basic black planters for $1 a piece from Walmart to match the planters I used for my "hi" planters.


I planted all my herbs, and put them on my porch.  Then one day, I was working in my garden and Collin was playing on the porch.  He was so quiet that I got a ton of work done...I should have known. 

I could see his back as he played, but not his front.  After I finished working, I walked up on the porch.  As Collin turned to greet me, I was mortified to see him holding all of my herbs...by the roots.  Yes, he had been playing quietly because he was destroying my herbs!

After that incident, I set out to find more herbs.  Fortunately for me, many of the herbs were on sale.  I got my basil and rosemary for 50 cents a piece.

After replanting my new herbs, I thought about making some vinyl labels for the planters, but then I just thought I would try to write the names with chalk.  I love the outcome!



When it rains, the chalk comes off, but it's super easy to put it back on. 

When I was looking for a way to display my herbs, I knew an old rusty metal crate that I got from the Junk Bin for $2 would be perfect. I loved the rust.  As much as I loved the rusty look, it blended in with my floor.  I lightly sprayed it with some white spray paint I had just to make it pop.  I still wanted the rust to show through.  I bought a blank switch plate at Walmart for 48 cents and painted it with chalkboard paint. 


I grouped all my herbs and "wallah" herb garden 2 point 0!




I love this herb garden. It combines so many of my favorite things...

chalkboards
rust
crates
plants
labels

It's a favorites overload!



I just have to keep my eyes open.  I think he's already planning how to destroy herb garden 2 point 0.




If you have any favorite recipes that involve parsley, dill, rosemary, basil or sweet mint, please send them my way!






No comments:

Post a Comment