Thursday, April 19, 2012

Blessing #118 - Milk and all its wonderful friends



Yesterday, I was back in my doctor's office, sick...yet again.  My doctor talked with me about the next step in figuring out what is going on with me.  She thought that maybe my new asthma and over active immune system might be caused by an allergy.

We talked it over, and decided to walk down this road and try to cross a few things off the list of things I'm allergic to.  First, my doctor wanted to try dairy.  Sometimes an allergy to dairy can cause asthma, and I had complained to her last time I saw her that I had pain in my chest every time I drank a glass of milk.  (I know that makes me sound crazy.)

Anyway, she suggested that I cut dairy out of my diet for a week or two and see what happens.  My exact words to her were, "I'm willing to try anything."

I really don't think I thought that line through.  When she said, "Cut out dairy," I was just thinking don't drink milk, and that is fairly difficult for me.  When I was pregnant milk was one of the two things I craved (gatorade was the other).  In fact, I gained six pounds in one week when I was pregnant with B because I was going through a gallon of milk every two days.  But I said I was willing to try anything, and I could do without my nightly glass of milk.

Then as soon as I got in the car I started to think of all the dairy products, milk, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, and cream cheese.  Then I started to think of all the things made from dairy products nachos, cheesy soups, cake, biscuits, cobbler, lasagna, pizza, and MILK chocolate.

Suddenly, my resolve was gone and I realized I am not will to try anything.  Really how bad is having an asthma attack? If I just always keep my inhaler with me I should be okay...right?  What's a little wheeziness? That cough that makes me sound like I've been smoking for 60 years is kind of cute.  Right? And honestly, is it really all that bad getting sick every month as long as I can have my chocolate and cheese while I'm coughing?

It took me some time, but I've decided to go for it and cut the dairy out for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Right now, as I type this post, I'm having my farewell glass of milk.  I'm really hoping this is wrong, and I'm not allergic so that I can be reunited with my friend dairy real soon.  Today though, if you drive by the Dairy Queen and see me with my face plastered against the glass, just keep driving.  I'm just going through withdrawals. 

1 comment:

  1. Steph, our newest baby, Liam, has a milk protein allergy. As a result of this I had to completely cut all dairy out of my diet so I could continue to nurse him. I feel your pain. I never realized how much dairy I consumed o. A daily basis until I couldnt have it anymore. But after 3 months without it I don't evenings it anymore, so it does get easier :)

    Sherry Waye

    ReplyDelete