Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturdate with Southern Plate: {lemon meringue pie}



It is finally feeling like spring around here. I heard spring started a month ago, but I think Maryland just got the memo.



Good bye, sweaters. Good bye snow. Good bye Winter B. Good bye shoes Good bye socks (at least for a few months). Hello yard sales. Hello capris. Hello flip flops. Hello happy dirt covered boy. Hello fresh fruit and veggies!

Yes, I'm just a little excited about spring and all the things that comes with it. So this week, I decided to make a "springy" dessert. I looked in the spring section of Southern Plate and found Lemon Meringue pie. Bingo! You can find the recipe here.



I really liked how this pie tasted. Next time, I'll put the cookies in the food processor and get them ground up even finer. I made one pie for our family and one to give to someone else. (Something that would make Christy Jordan the author of Southern Plate very proud.) This is a very easy recipe to double.


Before I started making Southern Plate recipes, I had never made meringue. One thing I have learned about meringue is how fickle it is. The recipe may say one thing, but your oven may be different, and next thing you know instead of "golden brown" meringue, you've got "burnt toast" meringue. In all my cooking mishaps, I have not burnt a meringue yet, but I look like a crazy woman when I cook meringue obsessively checking on it every couple of minutes. The good news is even burnt meringue tastes good, and you can always just scrape it off and try again.

If you are not a fan of lemon meringue, you can still welcome spring with some with these lemony Southern Plate recipes, lemon chess pie, lemon bars, or lemon blossoms.

1 comment:

  1. This really looks good, Steph. You can also put cookies in a zip lock bag & roll with a rolling pin till fine. Love #3s#1

    ReplyDelete