Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blessing #45- A Childhood Trip

Brandon is visiting my mom and dad in Georgia all week, and although I miss him terribly, and although we have to drive long hours to pick him up, it's worth it all so that he can go.

One reason I wanted Brandon to visit his grandparents is I had a similar trip when I was young. When I was 9 years old, I visited my aunts in North Carolina with my brother for two weeks, and I still remember all the fun we had on that trip.

My dad's mother passed away before I was born, and I never got a chance to meet her. Knowing I wouldn't have my grandmother growing up, God gave me five amazing aunts and one incredibly sweet uncle to spoil me rotten. (I will calculate them as a blessing in another post, but for now, trust me, they are awesome.)

My parent's were from North Carolina, and we lived in Georgia so we visited North Carolina often. However, the visit I remember most is the time my brother and I visited North Carolina by ourselves. We spent a few days with each aunt. We went fishing with my Aunt Peggy, slept on my Aunt Ruthie's pull out couch, hung out in my Aunt Shirley's auto parts store (I told you. She was awesome!), shared stories about our dad with my Aunt Elsie, and terrorized my Aunt Juanita's evil chihuahua, Moochie.

My most favorite memory from that trip was seeing Problem Child 2 with my Aunt Peggy and Juanita. It was the first movie I had been too. I can clearly picture my Aunt Peggy's purse filled with coca-colas and candy as we went into the movie.

That trip gave me a relationship with my aunts apart from my parents. It helped me get to know them better, and make some of the best memories of my childhood. I miss Brandon, but I'm so glad he gets to make some memories this week.

5 comments:

  1. Great post!! Lots of memories!!! Love the Georgia MiMi We're having a great time. Brandon told me the other day he was going to marry me when he gets big. HaHa...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't believe all Aunt Elsie told you. It was all told to get even with me because I was the baby. That's has been my story for years and I'm sticking to it. #3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, you are amazing and a wonderful mother. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an investment. We don't have any grandparents that are within driving distance. They are all thousands of miles away. It is such an effort, but I am glad that all grandparents are able to travel to see the kids. What a blessing that you have parents within driving distance! And my, what a drive round trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. calculatingblessingsApril 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM

    We are meeting halfway, but it is still a 12 trip total.

    ReplyDelete