Monday, April 11, 2011

Blessing #44- Sonic Friday


I love having little traditions, and one tradition that I started with Brandon a few months ago is "Sonic Friday."

On Friday, while we are running errands, Brandon and I always stop and get a drink at Sonic. It sounds simple, but it is one of my favorite times of the week.

On Sonic Friday, we both randomly break out into yelling, "Sonic Friday!!!" all throughout the day. When we get to Sonic, Brandon knows that he can pick any small drink he wants without caffeine. (No one wants to see Brandon on caffeine.) On the way to Sonic, Brandon and I discuss what drink he is going to pick, a sprite with bubble gum flavor in it, a green apple slushi, or an apple juice with watermelon mixed in it (sometimes he gets a little crazy).

Brandon loves Sonic Friday, but I think I love it more. As Brandon's mom, I have to tell him no, several times a day, just to keep him safe and well behaved. Last week I had to tell him, "No, you cannot dig up the yard with a snow shovel, and also, hand me the snow shovel, it's as big as you are." He was highly disappointed because he wanted to make our entire yard a construction zone, but I knew that we need to have grass in our front yard instead of mud. However, on Sonic Friday, I get to say the words I rarely get to say, "Whatever you want Brandon....(without caffeine!)"

Psst linked to Works for me Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Cute, Cute, Cute!!! He's been perfect at MiMi & Poppy's

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition! "I get to say the words I rarely get to say, "Whatever you want Brandon...." Such a great point--I get stuck in the "do this, not that" mode -- I like the idea of how a simple treat, thoughtfully planned, can be a reminder to step out of that loop whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete